Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Nov 8 and 10 Faculty Candidate Lecture: Mitchell Rose

MITCHELL ROSE, PH.D.


Lecturer - Department of Geography


University of Hull, UK


Candidate for the GIA-NCR position


“Negative Governance”


Alexandria, Tuesday, Nov 8, 12:00p at Prince Street, Room 304

Blacksburg, Thursday, Nov 10, 12:30p in Major Williams 527



"I grew up outside Detroit, Michigan but have been living and working in the UK for the last 13 years. Currently I hold a lectureship in the Department of Geography at the University of Hull, where I teach courses in cultural geography, social theory and on the culture and politics of the Middle East. My fascination with the Middle East began while living in Israel in 1987, the year of the first Intifada. The experience encouraged me to learn Arabic and pursue a degree in Middle Eastern History at the University of Wisconsin the following year. After graduating in 1992, I moved to Washington DC to work for Search for Common Ground, an NGO that facilitates unofficial diplomatic meetings between Israeli, Palestinian, Egyptian, Jordanian, Lebanese and Syrian representatives. In 1994, I left to pursue an MA in International Relations at Syracuse University with the intention of working for the US Foreign Service. It was while conducting research on oral poetry in Yemen that I discovered cultural geography. Specifically, I was intrigued by how tribal poets summoned distinct geographical sites to elicit a sense of tribal belonging. Thus, mountains, oasis and wells became lyrical markers around which community identity could be affirmed and conflicts settled. The research drew me into the geographic literature on landscape and I began another MA in geography in 1996. Two years later, I left the US to pursue my doctorate at the University of Cambridge which explored the politics of governing heritage sites in Egypt. My work continues to be characterized by an enduring interest in the culture, history and politics of the Middle East as well as debates in cultural and political theory."

No comments:

Post a Comment